The 2016 Rolex Formula 1™ Australian Grand Prix saw the launch of the global partnership between Chandon and the McLaren Honda F1 team. Led by Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso, the glamourous sport was a perfect fit for leading sparkling wine brand Chandon. The key objective of the campaign was to illustrate how the global collaboration will bring Chandon’s sparkling attitude to the famous McLaren-Honda Formula 1™ team in an exciting celebration of innovation.
Red Agency was responsible for distributing an announcement press release and managing interviews with both drivers as well as Chandon spokespeople to drive earned media coverage. To amplify press coverage around the partnership, we distributed an additional media alert highlighting the various bars activating as part of the partnership where consumers could enjoy F1 parties and brunches.
A launch event took place at the Domaine Chandon Winery in the Yarra Valley, which included a press conference with the drivers, one on one interviews with Fernando Alonso, a winery tour, and a gourmet lunch with paired Chandon sparkling wines. Crown Casino also hosted a Grand Prix Eve Party the night before the big race, where Jenson Button made an appearance for interviews with media and photo opportunities with media, influencers, and Crown’s VIPs.
In partnership with the Havas Worldwide team, a video of the two drivers going head to head in some unexpected challenges was created at the Domaine Chandon. Whilst Havas Media managed the seeding of this video, Red Agency was in charge of all press coverage around the video.
- Red Agency exceeded all KPIs including the most important one to the global Chandon team, which was the value of earned media coverage – $963,176 ($263,176 above our KPI)
- The two events were attended by 46 key media and influencers
- A total of 151 pieces of coverage were generated during the campaign
- Earned media and social media coverage reached an impressive audience of 31,572,972
- Hero coverage included Fox Sports News, The Sydney Morning Herald, GQ, Sporteluxe, The Age and The Daily Telegraph to name but a few
- The Chandon McLaren Honda video was shared across the News Corp network, on Fox Sports News, as well as featured on numerous lifestyle websites
- The video received a total of 3.2 million views
<p style=”text-align: center;”>